(WXYZ) – Summer can be at time when we overindulge in unhealthy foods at BBQs, festivals and family gatherings. With Labor Day just days away, it’s a good time for many of us to make a clean start.
Not to worry if you’ve made a few too many bad food choices this summer, you can get right back on track. The first step sounds simple but it’s important and that’s to eat regular meals.
You’ll have more energy because food keeps your blood sugar and insulin levels steady.
Next I want you to drink plenty of water. This will help curb your appetite and cravings.
You’ll love this next step which is to eat small amounts of dark chocolate. Research shows it helps satisfy sweet and salty food cravings.
And lastly, cut back on carbs, but only the unhealthy kind.
I am the “no-diet” doctor because I believe foods should not be associated with deprivation.
I recommend the 80-20 rule. 80 percent of the time eat healthy and this includes carbs that are nutrient rich. That leaves 20 percent for special occasions and indulgences.
- Eat every 3 to 5 hours starting with breakfast. You’ll feel satisfied and less likely to reach for unhealthy foods.
- Drink 48 ounces of water every day. You can spruce up the taste by adding flavor with lemons, limes, mint, cucumbers or crushed berries.
- Don’t make carbs the centerpiece of your meals. Choose complex carbs like fruits, peas, beans, whole grains, and vegetables.
- Plan ahead by thinking and preparing healthy meals and snacks in advance. Prepared snacks leave you less likely to make bad choices when you’re hungry.
Choose your foods wisely and fill your plate with vegetables and fruit first.
For protein, try healthier meats like chicken and salmon instead of hot dogs and burgers.
Do eat what you like but do so in moderation. Food is meant to be enjoyed but you’ll much happier with yourself when you make the right choices.
Copyright 2017 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.